Minutes: Shires League Meeting
Saturday, 1st July 2017, 11am to 1pm
at National Badminton Centre, Bradwell Road, Loughton Lodge, Milton Keynes, MK8 9LA
1. Welcome and apologies
Ian Rizzotto, League Secretary, Mark Downie, Badminton England, Derek Batchelor, Badminton England, Sally Weston, Berkshire, John Lau, Buckinghamshire, Ruth Jefferies, Buckinghamshire, Siddhardha Anne, Buckinghamshire, David Owen, Cambridgeshire, Paul Jackson, Hampshire, Paul Fonseca, Hampshire, Joseph Eluekunnel, Hertfordshire, Mike Newlove, Hertfordshire, Mike O’Keefe, Kent, J Picariello, Kent, Laura Cowperthwaite, Leicestershire, Alan Cowperthwaite, Leicestershire, Jason Wood, Lincolnshire, C Wood Lincolnshire, Sarah Thompson, Norfolk, Louise Culyer, Norfolk, Mark Attewell, Nottinghamshire, Simon Mitchell, Oxfordshire, Steve Lunt, Staffordshire, Ruth Lunt, Staffordshire, Linda Sheppard, Suffolk, David Driver, Suffolk, Alan Cunningham, Surrey, Jackie Cunningham, Surrey, Christine Thompson, Surrey, Claire West, Sussex, Mark Bourne, Sussex, Steve Cosgrove, Worcestershire, John Ellis, Yorkshire
Paul Adamson, Bedfordshire, Emily Wood, Cumbria, Stuart Atkins, Derbyshire, Sue Jarvis, Devon, Eric Brown, Essex and BE, Richard Taylor, Northumberland, Sue Herbert, Warwickshire, Jamie Sims, Wiltshire
· Thanks were given to B.E for their support and in particular Mark Downie for his efforts, both moral and financial; arranging venue to hold AGM, including refreshments. IR pointed out that whilst BE were unable to fund the buffet lunch this year, they were funding the costing of expenses for referees used at the Shires League finals
· IR thanked all those who attended today and hoped the meeting would be worth their while attending.
2. Appointment of League Secretary
· As there were no other nominations, Ian Rizzotto continues as League Secretary.
3. Appointment of Management and Ranking Committee
· The following members of the committee agreed to stand for a further year; Mike Hedges of Avon, Alan and Jackie Cunningham of Surrey, and Jason Wood of Lincolnshire.
· We need a new member of the committee from Derbyshire to stand for 2017-18 season please.
The League Secretary requested volunteers for the ranking committee although any current members who wished to remain on the committee were most welcome. Please let me know if you wish to be removed AND if you would like to join the team please.
Members of the ranking committee are Eric Brown, Jason Wood, Mike Newlove, John Ellis, David Driver
4. Matters for discussion / voting
Dates of competition for the 2017-18 season as the Saturday’s of the 11th November 2017 and 27th January 2018 and weekends of 24th March 2018, with the Play-offs outlined for 5th May 2018.
As the number of teams entering the league increase, the number of teams winning all six matches will also increase. Likewise for the teams that win 5 out of the 6 matches.
It was felt that by reducing the number of Play-Off matches, teams in 10th, 11th and 12th position would often be denied their opportunity of a chance to take part in the final. Consequently, the proposal was rejected by 15-1.
It was NOT the general consensus of opinion that this was the case.
BE did point out that it was the over-whelming majority of tournament organisers that wanted the odd-age group system re-instated and BE did say during consultation that they would review the all-age age group strategy at the end of the season. There was an overall increase in the number of tournaments during last season, but they were poorly subscribed and unviable. The number of tournaments this coming season reflects similar to those of two years ago.
6. Reminder of things that fixtures secretaries need to give league secretary
· List of names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail address of each team manager.
· Confirm the date, time, age group, and venue of all your Shires League fixtures by 30 09 17
· For counties fielding a second team, first team nominations by 30 09 17.
· Payment if not already done asap please.
7. Date and venue of next meeting
Probably around end of June/beginning of July 2018.
The last hour was given to making fixtures for the forthcoming season.