Shires County Championships Annual General Meeting
Saturday 28th June 2014, 11am to 1pm
at Harben House,
1. Welcome and apologies
Present at the meeting
Ian Rizzotto, League Secretary, Paul Adamson, Bedfordshire, Sally Weston, Berkshire, Ruth Jefferies, Buckinghamshire, John Lau, Buckinghamshire, Simone Mitchell, Buckinghamshire, Ash De Silva, Buckinghamshire, Andy Penver, Buckinghamshire, Nathalie Taylor, Cheshire, Kevin Smith, Derbyshire, John Frisby, Hampshire, Christine Adey, Hertfordshire, Mike Newlove, Hertfordshire, Richard Stapley, Kent, Steve White, Lancashire, Mandy Garnham, Lincolnshire, Rajib Talukder, Middlesex, Louise Culyer, Norfolk, Maureen Lincoln, Norfolk, James Fisk, Oxfordshire, Dom Ready, Oxfordshire, Geoff Davies, Staffordshire, Yvonne Pears, Suffolk, Trevor Davies, Suffolk, David Driver, Suffolk, Alan Cunningham, Surrey, Jackie Cunningham, Surrey, Claire West, Sussex, Mark Bourne, Sussex, Kate Close, Warwickshire, Karen Daniels, Warwickshire, Greg Stephen, Worcestershire
Apologies were received from
Josie Smith, Badminton England, Malcolm Smith, Badminton England, Eric Brown, Badminton England, Derek Batchelor, Badminton England, Mark Downie, Badminton England
Helen Gorham, Avon, Debbie and Andy Lovatt, Cumbria, Emily Wood, Cumbria, Carole Laidier, Devon, Roy Carder, Dorset, Paul Breakwell, Dorset, Deborah Siddle, Gloucestershire, Suzanne Hastings, Herefordshire, Stephen Athans, Lancashire, Richard Taylor, Northumberland, Robert Walker, Yorkshire
Ian Rizzotto began the meeting by offering a vote of thanks to Badminton England for their support, both moral and financial; supplying shuttles and referees for the finals, arranging venue to hold AGM, including refreshments and buffet meal at the end of the meeting. He discussed the relationship between both organisations and how their support had helped the league to develop. However, he also emphasised that decisions and changes to the way the league was run, is solely at the discretion of the membership and their views were paramount in any changes.
He also explained that once again due to a last minute Board of Directors meeting, no one from Badminton was available to attend. Mark Downie was due to attend but has been forced to send his apologies following a badminton injury to the eye on the Friday evening.
2. Appointment of Shires County Championship Secretary
The only nomination was Mr I Rizzotto.
3. Appointment of Management Committee
A Management Committee consists of 4 members, plus a chairperson – the Secretary.
All four current members were willing to stand for a further year. There were no other nominations. IR proposed that the meeting agreed to their continued appointment and the meeting accepted unanimously.
Two new members of the ranking committee offered their services, Mike Newlove and Claire West to the existing members, bring the total to 6, with the League Secretary as the seventh if needed.
4. Matters for discussion / voting
Matters arising from “Action Points” letter
· We agreed to adopt new rule 22, which allows for a substitution in the level doubles provided a player has become injured in the first of the 2 doubles matches and having lost the first match. Phil Westwood was officially thanked for his work in re-writing the rules into a more cohesive style.
· After considerable discussion (40 minutes) it was agreed by 13 votes to 3 that results of Shires League matches were NOT to be used for the grading of players. Amongst other ideas, during the discussion we considered whether only singles or only wins be used towards awarding a player grade. The over-whelming feeling was the Shires League was a team event and the membership did not want players to be so worried about losing their grading that they pulled out of such events to protect their grading. However, the meeting was not totally adverse to the proposal and felt that it may have to be looked at again in the near future.
· After discussion it was agreed by 12 votes to 3 NOT to change the random draw at the Shires League Finals as proposed by Alan Cunningham.
· After discussion it was agreed by 13 votes to 3 NOT to change any of the “First and Second Team Rules” as proposed by Hertfordshire.
Despite the fact that 3 proposals have been rejected, the meeting was very positive and good quality discussion took place.
6. Reminder of things that fixtures secretaries need to give league secretary
· List of names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail address of each team manager, including U11 manager if required (friendly only.)
· Confirm the date, time, age group, and venue of all your Shires League fixtures by 30 09 14
· For counties fielding a second team, first team nominations by 30 09 14
· Payment if not already done asap please.
· IR to email team managers with EXCEL score sheet and other items that may be necessary for their role.
7. Date and venue of next meeting
Saturday, 27th June 2015 at same venue (tbc)
The remainder of the session was given to making fixtures for the forthcoming season. Each county should make three home and three away fixtures.
Away fixtures should be a mixture of both shorter, medium and long distance journeys.