Shires County Championships Annual General Meeting
Saturday 29th June 2013, 11am to 1pm
at Harben House,
1. Welcome and apologies
Present at the meeting
Ian Rizzotto, League Secretary, Mark Downie, Badminton England, Jeff Farrow, Berkshire, Sally Weston, Berkshire, C Joy, Buckinghamshire, D Garrett, Buckinghamshire, K Kelly, Buckinghamshire, P Bell, Buckinghamshire, R Jefferies, Buckinghamshire, S Mitchell, Buckinghamshire, T Chapman, Buckinghamshire, T Liew, Buckinghamshire, Neil Critchell, Cambridgeshire, Sharon Chandler, Cambridgeshire, Nathalie Taylor, Cheshire, Martin Shaw, Derbyshire, John Frisby, Hampshire, Mike Newlove, Hertfordshire, Richard Stapley, Kent, Annette Athans, Lancashire, Stephen Athans, Lancashire, Alan Cowperthwaite, Leicestershire, Laura Cowperthwaite, Leicestershire, Mandy Garnham, Lincolnshire, Sally Hassall, Lincolnshire, Louise Culyer, Norfolk, Maureen Lincoln, Norfolk, Fiona Roberts, Oxfordshire, James Fisk, Oxfordshire, John Boyd, Oxfordshire, Geoff Davis, Staffordshire, Steve Lunt, Staffordshire, Lisa Jacobs, Suffolk, Trevor Davies, Suffolk, Yvonne Pears, Suffolk, Alan Cunningham, Surrey, Jackie Cunningham, Surrey, Claire West, Sussex, Mark Bourne, Sussex, Karen Daniels, Warwickshire, Kate Close, Warwickshire, Ann Diprose, Worcestershire, Claudette Palmer, Worcestershire, Helen Walker, Yorkshire, Martin Adams, Yorkshire, Rob Walker, Yorkshire
Apologies were received from
Josie Smith, Badminton England, Malcolm Smith, Badminton England, Eric Brown, Badminton England, Derek Batchelor, Badminton England, Helen Gorham, Avon, Cathryn Blick, Cornwall, Trevor Witts, Nottinghamshire, Rachel McGill, Herefordshire, Paul Adamson, Bedfordshire (sent apologies via email to say he was ill)
Ian Rizzotto began the meeting by offering a vote of thanks to Badminton England for their support, both moral and financial; supplying shuttles and referees for the finals, arranging venue to hold AGM, including refreshments and buffet meal at the end of the meeting.
He also explained that as a last minute Board of Directors meeting had been called which coincided with our meeting, only Mark Downie was able to be here to represent BE.
Please note that the Shires League is now known as the Shires County Championship
2. Appointment of Shires County Championship Secretary
The only nomination was Mr I Rizzotto.
3. Appointment of Management Committee
A Management Committee consists of 4 members, plus a chairperson – the Secretary.
All four current members were willing to stand for a further year. There were no other nominations. IR proposed that the meeting agreed to their continued appointment and the meeting accepted unanimously.
4. Matters for discussion / voting
Matters arising from “Action Points” letter
· We agreed to change the rule for no-blame cancellations
· We discussed the pros and cons of using Walsall/York for U13 Finals. We agreed to use Walsall by 11 votes to 7. IR to continue looking at various venues for U13 Finals.
· Mark Downie explained how the results of Shires County Championship matches might be used to contribute towards a players’ grading. In order for this to happen, it would be necessary for all players who play in the Shires County Championship to be registered with Badminton England. Most players are already registered but it will cost £3 for new players. There were some concerns but most counties agreed with this development. Provided there is a general consensus of opinion, next year we shall consider making it a rule of the Shires County Championship that you have to be a member of BE to take part in the Shires County Championship.
The concerns expressed included a deep feeling that a distance should be kept between Badminton England and the Shires County Championship and by making it compulsory to join, this took us one step closer. It was felt that some players did not want to pursue their badminton careers any further than county level and would be forced to join BE. Players who would not otherwise choose to play for their county would be seeking to play solely for what they could get out of it for themselves, regarding improved grading. Likewise, there would be other players withdrawing from county matches because of fear of being downgraded should they lose key matches.
Most delegates present were very positive with this development, but IR recommended that an open debate on these issues at matches over the season would be a healthy way of starting to consider the implications of a compulsory membership and urged everyone to be involved in the discussion.
· There was general concern that the U13 Team Challenge and U15 Team Challenge had withdrawn. Mark Downie outlined some of the reasons why BE had made this decision and assured the meeting that U17 ICT was not at threat.
The meeting agreed that any counties who are interested in organising an U13 or U15 Team Challenge Event in their area should contact Ian Rizzotto this week. He will collate the relevant information and distribute it to those involved.
· Counties will be able to enter their own results via League Planner directly into the BE website. During the past season, all match results were entered by Ian Rizzotto, but the task of entering all the results is a very time consuming one. Whilst IR is willing to continue entering all the results, any help would be greatly appreciated. More details to follow.
· IR asked for a number of key messages to be given to team managers.
Use the new EXCEL score sheet – new version will be sent to team managers at the start of the season, along with other help and advice.
Ensure that first name and surname of every player (home and away) is included at least once on every score sheet.
That team managers check scores before the end of the match.
· Please encourage players to look at the results and check the scores / spellings. Email IR if scores or names spelt incorrectly.
· We agreed to change the U17 Play-off date from Sunday, 13th April to Saturday, 12th April 2014 because of the close proximity of the U17 ICT. However, having reviewed the U15 Play-off date, I feel that it is better to continue to reserve Sunday, 6th April 2014, even though it does clash with the U17 Nationals.
6. Reminder of things that fixtures secretaries need to give league secretary
· List of names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail address of each team manager, including U11 manager if required (friendly only.)
· Confirm the date, time, age group, and venue of all your Shires League fixtures by 30 09 13
· For counties fielding a second team, first team nominations by 30 09 13
· Payment if not already done asap please.
· IR to email team managers with EXCEL score sheet and other items that may be necessary for their role.
7. Date and venue of next meeting
Saturday, 28th June 2014 at same venue
The remainder of the session was given to making fixtures for the forthcoming season. Each county should make three home and three away fixtures.
Away fixtures should be a mixture of both shorter, medium and long distance journeys.