Shires League Annual General Meeting

 

Saturday 30th June 2012, 11am to 1pm

at Harben House, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, MK16 9EY

 

1.  Welcome and apologies

Health and Safety – Fire exit, toilets, refreshments

 

Present at the meeting

Ian Rizzotto, League Secretary, Josie Smith, Badminton England, Malcolm Smith, Badminton England, Eric Brown, Badminton England, Derek Batchelor, Badminton England, Mark Downie, Badminton England, Paul Adamson, Bedfordshire, Bob Reed, Berkshire, Ruth Jefferies, Buckinghamshire, Tracey Chapman, Buckinghamshire, Simone Mitchell, Buckinghamshire, Jurgen Van Leeuwan, Buckinghamshire, Yvonne Pandya, Buckinghamshire, David May, Cambridgeshire, Neil Critchel, Buckinghamshire, Nathalie Taylor, Cheshire, Sue Brealey, Derbyshire, Martin Shaw, Derbyshire, John Frisby, Hampshire, Graham Hall, Hertfordshire, Steve White, Lancashire, Mandy Garnham, Lincolnshire, Rajib Talukder, Middlesex, Nick Taylor, Northants, Chris Harrison, Nottinghamshire, James Fisk, Oxfordshire, Fiona Roberets, Oxfordshire, Steve Lunt, Staffordshire, Trevor Davies, Suffolk, Yvonne Pears, Suffolk, Alan Cunningham, Surrey, Jackie Cunningham, Surrey, Kate Close, Warwickshire, Ann Diprose, Worcestershire, Jeff Salter, Worcestershire, Martin Adams, Yorkshire

 

Apologies were received from

Julie Bliss, Dorset, Jane Lipton, Somerset, Lisa Jacobs, Suffolk, David Driver, Suffolk, Pete Crawshaw, Lincolnshire, Rachel McGill, Herefordshire, Louise Culyer, Norfolk

 

Ian Rizzotto began the meeting by offering a vote of thanks to B.E for their support, both moral and financial; supplying shuttles for the final, arranging venue to hold AGM, including refreshments and buffet meal at the end of the meeting.

 

He introduced and welcomed Derek Batchelor who briefly spoke to the meeting about some of the developments that BE are currently working on.

 

Eric Brown was invited to speak to the meeting and after a little discussion it was agreed that from September 2013 we would change our name from the “Shires League” to “Shires County Championship”.

 

Eric introduced Mark Downie who spoke to the meeting about junior competition and league development that in which BE are involved.

 

2.  Appointment of League Secretary

The only nomination was Mr I Rizzotto.

 

3.  Appointment of Management Committee

 

Management Committee

A Management Committee consists of 4 members, plus a chairperson – the League Secretary.

 

Phil Westwood resigned from the committee. Ian Rizzotto paid thanks to all the hard work he had done for the SL over the years and outlined some of the ways in which he felt that Phil’s input was a significant contribution.

 

Jackie Cunningham accepted the invitation to continue in her role. Marie Mathers from Staffordshire and James Fisk from Oxfordshire have been nominated for the committee.

 

Trevor Davies of Suffolk will ensure that a representative from Suffolk is forwarded in the next week.

 

4.  Matters for discussion / voting

 

·         Matters arising from “Action Points” letter, which was forwarded to all

Ø  Herefordshire acceptance to join the league. Whilst nothing was mentioned at the meeting, agreement for acceptance was done via reply from Action Points.

Ø  We agreed that counties should discuss the ranking policy at committee meeting etc, so that all team managers and coaches are aware of its contents and implications. A copy will be sent to all team managers in due course.

Ø  Website changes. Meeting informed of the some of the planned improvements in the website. These include allowing score sheets to be downloaded directly from the website.

 

After the meeting and in discussion with Mark Downie, I agreed to consider the feasibility of entering individual player Shires League match results, that would count towards the players BE ranking. This would raise considerably the profile and importance of Shires League matches. Players can already see their results profile on line and with all Shires League results added to this profile and with the increase in the number of match results each player is registering, I can see that this will lead to more accurate and informative ranking lists being created.

 

Ø  Player registration and ranking. After some discussion, the meeting agreed that we would NOT introduce player registration.

Ø  Changes to Shires League Finals. Having outlined the problems and reasons for bringing this to the attention of the meeting, we agreed that no changes will be made either to the format of number of matches played in the league or the Shires League Finals.

 

I did forget to mention on the day...

I do hope that next year at the finals certificates will be created on the day showing not only players involvement in the event but the overall position achieved on that day. (This will be for all 8 teams.)

Furthermore, my intention is to use BE tournament software to have the results available live.

 

5.  A.O.B.

 

·         Walsall University for U13 SL Finals. Despite significant cost increases at Walsall, IR suggested we proceed with the booking but look elsewhere next year for more cost effective booking; Worcestershire being one of the places suggested.

·         Tournament software course taking place on Saturday 21 07 12. There is no charge for the course but you need to register with BE. File attachment to be sent to all team managers etc with the minutes.

·         Rajib Talukder of Middlesex wondered why Sky TV did not televise the Shires League Finals. Derek Batchelor explained that substantial fees have to be paid to entice them along.

·         Bob Reed of Berkshire asked for clarification on an issue of the eligibility of a player. The policy for player eligibility can be downloaded from the SL website.

 

6.  Reminder of things that fixtures secretaries need to give league secretary

 

·         List of names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail address of each team manager, including U11 manager if required (friendly only.)

·         Confirm the date, time, age group, and venue of all your Shires League fixtures by 30 09 12

·         For counties fielding a second team, first team nominations by 30 09 12

·         Payment if not already done asap please.

·         IR to email team managers with EXCEL score sheet and other items that may be necessary for their role.

 

7.  Date and venue of next meeting

 

To be confirmed but probably the last Saturday in June 2013. Many good comments regarding venue and buffet provided.

 

8.  Fixtures

 

The last hour is given to making fixtures for the forthcoming season. Each county should make three home and three away fixtures.

 

Away fixtures should be a mixture of both shorter, medium and long distance journeys.