Agenda: Shires League Meeting

 

Saturday 28th June 2008, 11am to 1pm

at Harben House, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, MK16 9EY

Back to Shires League Home Page

 

1.  Welcome and apologies

Ian Rizzotto(IR) welcomed Mr Mike Sertin of Badminton England(BE) to the meeting and took the opportunity to thank BE for both there moral and financial support.

 

IR congratulated Durham on their successful application to join the Shires League.

 

Present:

Ian Rizzotto League Secretary, Mike Sertin Chair B. England, Josie Smith Schools & Youth Board, Malcolm Smith Schools & Youth Board, Eric Brown Schools & Youth Board, Derek Batchelor Badminton England, Paul Adamson Bedfordshire, Rob Stanford Buckinghamshire, Don Gilders Buckinghamshire, Rob Carter Cambridgeshire, Karl Bergh Cheshire, Jemma Jefferies Cumbria, Dave Poniznik Cumbria, Lisa Ridley Derbyshire, Pam Rickerby Derbyshire, Caroline Stewart Durham, Roger Cook Durham, Phil Westwood Hertfordshire, Tony Clarke Hertfordshire, Pat Walker Hertfordshire, Mike Burgess Kent, Graham White Kent, David Dunlop Lancashire, David Dunlop Lancashire, Lea Sell Leicestershire, Peter Hall Leicestershire, Peter Clarke Lincolnshire, Simon Piff Norfolk, Clive Westwood Northants, Sonia Asbrey Northants, Richards Taylor Northumberland, Paul Adcock Nottinghamshire, Jean Kloos Oxfordshire, Andy Harris Shropshire, Steve Lunt Staffordshire, Irene Williams Staffordshire, David Driver Suffolk, Lisa Jacobs Suffolk, Trevor Davies Suffolk, Yvonne Pears Suffolk, Alan Cunningham Surrey, Jackie Cunningham Surrey, Kate Close Warwickshire, Sonia Dixon Warwickshire, Derinda Fullerton Worcestershire, Vicky Bowater Worcestershire, David Bowater Worcestershire, John Ibbotson Yorkshire, Dennise Kelly Yorkshire

 

Apologies:

Jane Coles Avon, Joanne Tinslay Berkshire, Sandra Dennis Cambridgeshire, Wendy Muscat Durham

 

2.  Appointment of League Secretary

There were no other nominations. Consequently, Mr I Rizzotto remains as League Secretary.

 

3.  Appointment of Management Committee

 

Management Committee

A Management Committee consists of 4 members, plus a chairperson – the League Secretary.

 

Note: This is taken from the Shires League Guidelines.

A Management Committee consisting of 4 members shall be established at the AGM at the start of a new season. The purpose of the committee will be to make judgements on the interpretation of any of the Shires League rules in the event of a dispute. Any member of the committee who is directly involved with a dispute would be excluded from the discussions. Committee members would not be from the same county. The League Secretary would have the casting vote.

 

All counties, in rotation, put forward a person from their county for the management committee, for the term of office of only one year. One county from each of the groups A, B, C and D would be proposed and the following year a different county from the groups would be chosen, until all counties had been represented and then the cycle would begin again.

 

Group A representative Paul Adcock

Group B representative David Dunlop

Group C representative Jackie Cunningham

Group D representative Phil Westwood

 

4.  Matters for discussion / voting

 

Eric Brown was invited to speak to the meeting. He began by asking for vote of thanks to IR for all the hard work he does on behalf of the organisation. He then went on to describe how a competition review was looking into the needs and requirements of the players and informed the meeting that the Shire League would be consulted for their opinions at some time in the future.

Later he outlined some of the problems that were encountered with the discussion of County Eligibility and trying to agree a common theme through Junior, Senior and Veteran organisations. It was clear that a longer time frame was required before an agreement would be forthcoming and did not expect to reach a conclusion before this time next year. In the meanwhile, the current ruling would continue to apply to any disputes regarding County Eligibility.

 

IR proposed that we adopt the recommendations of the Schools’ and Youth Board and include the “County Boundary Qualification” into the Shires League rules. This was carried unanimously.

 

·         Venues for 2009 and 2010 Shires League Finals

After discussion we agreed to hold the finals at Babington for 2009 by 22 votes to 1.

 

We agreed to ask Nikki Tarrant of BE to research venues for 2010 finals centrally located, together with current charges so that approximate costs could be calculated.

 

·         Proposed new radical grouping structure for 2009-2010

IR explained that difficult decisions facing the league would most likely have to be sorted next year. The number of counties wishing to enter has now reached the maximum number permitted. Two, U15 teams have not been able to enter 2nd teams this year, because there is not room for them and with Gloucestershire and possibly Dorset requesting to join the league next year, as well as Shropshire possibly wishing to enter teams at U15 in addition to one at U13 and U17, we would either have to reject requests to join or change the format of the groups.

 

IR briefly described two different ideas for alternative methods for sorting the matches in the Shires League. Both ideas are there as a starting point and need further consultation.

IR suggested that we brainstorm as a group by emailing further suggestions on how these proposals might be improved. It would then be necessary to set up a working party of about 5 or 6 to formulate a proposal for the membership to approve.

 

5.  A.O.B.

·         IR asked BE and Youth and Schools Board if it is possible to reserve some dates each year solely for shires League Matches. Eric said that this issue had been looked into before and that it was not practicable.

 

6.  Reminder of things that fixtures secretaries need to give league secretary

 

·       Remittance by 30th September 2008. Fees required displayed on website. Invoices have been sent out. This list will be removed early in October.

·       List of names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail address of each team manager, including U11 manager if required (friendly only.)

·       Confirm the date, time, age group, and venue of all your Shires League fixtures.

·       For counties fielding a second team, first team nominations by 30 09 08

 

7.  Date and venue of next meeting

Saturday 27 June 2009 at 11:00am.

Hopefully, BE will continue to offer the financial support required in order for the SL to hold their AGM meeting at a centre close to the National Badminton Centre and on the same day as the BE AGM.

 

8.  Fixtures

The last hour is given to making fixtures for the forthcoming season.

 

The Shires Leagues wishes to thank the Staff at Harben House. We were very impressed with the facilities and use of Burlington 1 & 2 rooms for meeting, surrounding area for refreshments and the buffet meal, which offered a good selection, quality and quantity.

 

Back to Shires League Home Page